Scholarships and Awards
Departmental Undergraduate Scholarships
To be eligible, the candidate must be Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and full-time students registered to the major or specialisation in mathematics or statistics.
- The Linis Admission Scholarship: The number of scholarships varies depending on the availability of funds and the level of the applicants' scores. Applicants are notified in the summer preceding their first term at the University of Ottawa, once the results of all the competitions are known.
- Yvon Grandchamp Scholarship, Linis Mathematics Scholarship, Co-op Program Prize in Mathematics, and Wong-Ng Scholarship: These scholarships are awarded by the Scholarship Committee and distributed in December of each year. All students meeting these requirements are automatically considered for the awards, and no explicit application is needed.
- Gordon Swartzen Memorial Scholarship This award is being given in the name of Gordon W. Swartzen. This fund was established by his wife, Ruth E. Swartzen, and daughter, Gail Ivanoff. This award is given once a year and the deadline to apply is September 30. If you want to apply, please read the following instructions and contact the The University of Ottawa Financial Aid and Awards Service, 85 University. Their telephone number is 613-562-5734.
Name of the Scholarship
Number of Scholarships Granted Each Year
Value of the Scholarship
Linis Admission Scholarship
The applicant must be from the Eastern Ontario or Western Quebec region and must be among those who have achieved the highest scores in the Euclid, the Descartes competition, or the Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge.
Yvon Grandchamp Scholarship
one or two
From $500 to $1,000
May be awarded to a student more than once.
Linis Mathematics Scholarship
May be awarded to a student more than once. The choice is based on the excellence of the academic record.
Co-op Program Prize in Mathematics
May be awarded to a student only once. Given to the best Work Term Report in a co-op program.
May be awarded to a student only once. The choice is based on the excellence of the academic record.
Gordon Swartzen Memorial Scholarship
May be awarded to Ontario residents (as per OSAP rules), The student must demonstrate financial need as determined by the Financial Aid and Awards Service of the uOTtawa, and demonstrate academic excellence by means of grade point average and a letter of support from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
University and External Undergraduate Scholarships
- It is also possible to earn money during the summer and learn mathematics or statistics at the same time. The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada offers Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) in Universities. Talk to Michelle Lukaszczyk to get the list of professors in the department who have research projects for undergraduate students.
- The Student Employment Program of the National Research Council Canada (NRC) gives the opportunity to outstanding students to work in a laboratory of the NRC. The NRC awards these positions based on the academic excellence of the candidate. The work is challenging and give the opportunity to the students to use their knowledge in concrete situation.
- More scholarships and financial aid are available from various organizations, both internal and external to the University. Contact the The University of Ottawa Financial Aid and Awards Service of the University of Ottawa.
- The Association of Professors of the University of Ottawa (APUO) also offers scholarships. For all details about these scholarships, please visit the site of the Student award programme of the APUO.