Room: GNN 276 , GNN 452 (lab)
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 6349
Lab: 613-562-5800 ext. 4051
Work E-mail: vcareau@uOttawa.ca
I am broadly interested in the evolutionary interactions between physiology and behaviour, including topics traditionally contained in the field of physiological ecology and behavioural ecology. I seek to understand how the ecological and evolutionary interactions between behaviour and physiology can generate and maintain diversity in life-history strategies. I focus on the evolutionary and energetic consequences of variation in behavioural traits such as locomotor activity, exploration, aggressiveness, boldness, hoarding, and migration. I study if and how behaviour and energy expenditure are influenced by factors that are environmental (e.g., air temperature), ecological (e.g., food abundance, parasites), individual (e.g., age, reproduction, stress response), genetic (e.g., genetic correlations with other traits), or phylogenetic. My major line of research grows out of my PhD on the “energetics of personality” and the “pace-of-life syndrome”. Another facet of my research program focuses on the impacts of resource pulses and climatic variation on the behavioural ecology and evolutionary physiology of mammals. I study individual variation in combination with comparative studies at higher levels of biological variation (populations, species), as it yields complementary insights into how energetics and behaviour interact through evolution.
- Careau V, Hoye, BJ, O’Dwyer TW & WA Buttemer. 2014. Among- and within-individual correlations between basal and maximal metabolic rates in birds. Journal of Experimental Biology 217: 3593-3596.
- Careau V, Gifford ME & P Biro. 2014. Individual (co)variation in thermal reaction norms of standard and maximal metabolic rates in wild-caught slimy salamanders. Functional Ecology 28: 1175-1186.
- Careau V. 2013. Basal metabolic rate, maximum thermogenic capacity, and aerobic scope in rodents: interaction between environmental temperature and torpor use. Biology Letters 9: 20121104.
- Careau V & T Garland Jr. 2012. Performance, personality and energetics: correlation, causation and mechanism? Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 85: 543-571.
- Careau V, Thomas D, Pelletier F, Turki L, Landry F, Garant D & D Réale. 2011. Genetic correlation between resting metabolic rate and exploratory behaviour in deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24: 2153-2163.
- Careau V, Thomas D, Humphries, MM & D Réale. 2008. Energy metabolism and animal personality. Oikos 117: 641-653.