Room: DRO 202
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 6002
Work E-mail: jan.mennigen@uOttawa.ca
The overarching goal of my research is to determine how environmental factors (both natural and anthropogenic) shape metabolic phenotypes in teleost fish across their life-cycle and between generations. The lab uses an integrative approach to characterize metabolic phenotypes at multiple levels of biological organisation, ranging from organismal to the cellular and molecular level approaches. A recent focus lies in determining the role of how epigenetic molecular mechansisms, especially microRNAs, regulate fish metabolism in response to environmental stimuli, both within the life-cycle of fish and across generations.
Experimental models include rainbow trout and zebrafish, which allow to extend basic research to aquaculture and aquatic toxicology.
- Rubén Martínez, Wenqing Tu, Tyler Eng, Melissa Allaire-Leung, Benjamin Piña, Laia Navarro-Martín, Jan A. Mennigen. 2020. Acute and long-term metabolic consequences of early developmental Bisphenol A exposure in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere, 256: 127080
- Huilin Yang, Hong Lai, Jing Huang, Liwei Sun, Jan Alexander Mennigen, Qiyu Wang, Yu Liu, Yuanxiang Jin, Wenqing Tu. 2020. Polystyrene microplastics decrease F–53B bioaccumulation but induce inflammatory stress in larval zebrafish. Chemosphere 255: 127040.
- Wenqing Tu, Rubén Martínez, Laia Navarro-Martin, Daniel J Kostyniuk, Christine Hum, Jing Huang, Mi Deng, Yuanxiang Jin, Hing Man Chan, Jan A. Mennigen. 2019. Bioconcentration and metabolic effects of emerging PFOS alternatives in developing zebrafish. Env. Sci. Technol. 53 (22): 13427-13439.
- Kostyniuk DJ, Marandel L, Jubouri M, Dias K, de Souza RF, Zhang D, Martyniuk CJ, Panserat S,Mennigen JA. 2019. Profiling the rainbow trout hepatic miRNAome under diet-induced hyperglycemia. Physiol Genomics. 51(9):411-431.
- Forbes JLI, Kostyniuk DJ, Mennigen JA, Weber JM. 2019. Unexpected effect of insulin on glucose disposal explains glucose intolerance of rainbow trout. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 316(4):R387-R394.
- Mennigen JA, Thompson LM, Bell M, Tellez Santos M, Gore AC. 2018. Transgenerational effects of polychlorinated biphenyls: 1. Development and physiology across 3 generations of rats. Environ Health. 17(1):18.
- Best C, Ikert H, Kostyniuk DJ, Craig PM, Navarro-Martin L, Marandel L, Mennigen JA. Epigenetics in teleost fish: From molecular mechanisms to physiological phenotypes. 2018. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 224:210-244.