Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 6002
Work E-mail: jan.mennigen@uOttawa.ca
The overarching goal of my research is to determine how environmental factors (both natural and anthropogenic) shape metabolic phenotypes in teleost fish across their life-cycle and between generations. The lab uses an integrative approach to characterize metabolic phenotypes at multiple levels of biological organisation, ranging from organismal to the cellular and molecular level approaches. A recent focus lies in determining the role of how epigenetic molecular mechansisms, especially microRNAs, regulate fish metabolism in response to environmental stimuli, both within the life-cycle of fish and across generations.
Experimental models include rainbow trout and zebrafish, which allow to extend basic research to aquaculture and aquatic toxicology.
- Mennigen, JA. Micromanaging metabolism: MicroRNAs in teleost fish. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. pii: S1096-4959(15)00160-8.
- Geurden I, Mennigen JA, Plagnes-Juan E, Veron V, Cerezo T, Mazurais D, Zambonino-Infante J, Gatesoupe J, Skiba-Cassy S, Panserat S. 2014. High or low dietary carbohydrate:protein ratios during first-feeding affect glucose metabolism and intestinal microbiota in juvenile rainbow trout. Journal of Experimental Biology, 217:3396-406.
- Mennigen JA, Martyniuk CJ, Seiliez I, Panserat, S. Skiba-Cassy, S. Metabolic consequences of miRNA-122 inhibition in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). 2014. BMC Genomics, 15:70.
- Mennigen JA, Skiba S, Panserat S. Ontogenesis of expression of metabolic genes and microRNAs in of rainbow trout alevins during the transition from endogenous to exogenous feeding. 2012. Journal of Experimental Biology, 216:1597-1608.
- Mennigen JA, Panserat S, Larquier M, Plagnes-Juan E, Medale F, Seiliez I Skiba-Cassy S. Postprandial regulation of hepatic microRNAs predicted to target the insulin pathway in rainbow trout. 2012. PLoS One, 7:e38604.
- Mennigen JA, Sassine J, Trudeau VL, Moon TW. Effects of waterborne fluoxetine on food intake, weight and energy metabolism parameters in goldfish, Carassius auratus. 2010. Aquatic Toxicology, 100:128-137.
- Mennigen JA, Harris EA, Chang JP, Trudeau VL, Moon TW. 2009. The effect of fluoxetine on food intake and weight gain in female goldfish. Regulatory Peptides, 155:99-104.