MSDS Internet Resources
There are several places on the internet with MSDS information databases. Most of these sites are searchable by chemical name, manufacturer name, and/or CAS. Just remember that you are responsible for how you use this information. Always consult several sources. Some of these links are quite often busy. If you can't connect on the first try, try again later. This list is presented in the order preferred by the Environmental Health and Safety officer, but for your particular needs a different order or other site can be used.
- Databases from Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety:
- MSDS & FTSS: More than 160,000 current Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs), in English and French, directly from suppliers and manufacturers ;
- CHEMINFO: Detailed profiles of more than 1,300 important workplace chemicals, including health, fire and reactivity hazards and safe work practices ;
- OSH References Collection: This authoritative, up-to-date CCOHS bibliographic database, packaged together with NIOSHTIC®, covers more than 100 years of international OSH-related literature ;
- RTECS®: More than 175,000 citations on safety and industrial hazards, produced by the UK Health and Safety Executive.
All CCOHS databases are accessible only from the University network, no access from outside the University.
- Over 85,000 material safety data sheets (MSDS) from the Sigma-Aldrich family of companies are available on-line. If the case arises that a MSDS is not available on-line, you can get additional information from Sigma-Aldrich on-line MSDS Request form. To full benefit from the site you have to register on line. The registration is free. You can log on as "uottawa" with password "uottawa".
- International Chemical Safety Cards: compiled by United Nation's International Occupational Safety and Health Information Centre.
- Vermont SIRI: Once connected, you will be given instructions on how to search the MSDS archive. This site also has links to other MSDS sites.
- Web server from EM Science and BDH Inc.: Can be searched by, Name, CAS Number, Chemical Formula, Merck Index.
- Fisher Scientific: has an online catalogue that includes MSDS information.
- VWR Scientific: has online MSDS in their catalogue.
- Strem Chemicals, Inc.
- MSDS from LANCASTER SYNTHESIS and Alfa Aesar
- New Jersey Hazardous Chemical Fact Sheets
- Agency for Toxic substances and Disease Registry: has hazardous substance fact sheets.
Before starting work with any new substance, it is always a good idea to check your procedures with your supervisor or consult the Environmental Health and Safety officer at ext. 6425 or by email.